Post-TANF Transportation Programs
Transportation assistance is available as a Post-TANF benefit for those leaving welfare due to employment. These programs are: "Get A Job, Get A Ride" and the "Extended Workpass".
The completed "Get A Job, Get A Ride" application is mailed to New Jersey Transit who will issue a free one month two-zone monthly bus pass or rail pass. A person wishing to apply for the "Extended Workpass" must provide their county welfare agency with monthly pay stubs. This program provides free passes for a six month period. If eligible, the county welfare agency will issue the participant a two party check to be taken to the nearest NJ Transit ticket agent.
Please note that any individual whose case closed within the past 24 months, if now employed, may be eligible for up to six months of transportation if he or she can provide proof of current employment.
Contact a Work First New Jersey case manager for details. You can download the "Get A Job, Get A Ride" and "Extended Workpass" Enrollment Form here.
Additional information and links on welfare regulations and benefits are available online, including:
- Post-TANF Support Services That You Need to Know About! a flyer produced in partnership with the NJ Department of Labor and Workforce Development;
- WFNJ Handbook;
- WFNJ Handbook in Spanish;
- Support for Working Families brochure published by the Division of Family Development;
Creating a 'my Social Security' Account
The Social Security Administration offers a personal online service that allows you to estimate, plan and manage your benefits. This article provides information on how to create an account, some plusses and minuses and a few links.
There are a few requirements. You must have 1) a valid email address; 2) a social security number; 3) a U.S. mailing address; and 4) be at least eighteen years of age. If you do not have an email account you can easily obtain one through such free services as Google, Outlook or Yahoo.
To start the process, visit www.ssa.gov/myaccount and click the button labeled 'Sign In or Create an Account.' You will be required to provide personal information so as to verify your identity. You must choose a username and password to establish and access your new account.
There are a number of features to 'my Social Security' that give you fast service when you need it. If you are applying for other benefits - for example, an application for heating assistance or SNAP (formerly food stamps) you can print out a benefit statement without having to wait for Social Security to mail it to you. You can even save the benefit statement and email it as an attachment! A downside to using the service is that it should be used by a single individual, not to be used by another person on your behalf, so Social Security officials indicate. You also can't use another person's email address, for security reasons.
This online service has many advantages to individuals, to the Social Security Administration and even to other governmental agencies that administer safety net programs. To learn more, visit my Social Security: How To Create An Online Account and watch a video. A training video is also available for social service agencies. Representatives from Social Security are available at 800-772-1213, if there are problems setting up an account.
Resisting Donald Trump
New Jersey's two Senators and twelve Representatives are:
- Robert Menendez - Democrat 202-224-4744
- Corey Booker - Democrat 202-224-3224
- Donald Norcross - Democrat - 1st District 202-225-6501
- Frank LoBiondo - Republican, 2nd District 202-225-6572
- Tom MacArthur - Republican, 3rd District 202-225-4765
- Chris Smith - Republican, 4th District 202-225-3765
- Josh Gottheimer - Democrat, 5th District 202-225-4465
- Frank Pallone, Jr. - Democrat, 6th District 202-225-4671
- Leonard Lance - Republican, 7th District 202-225-5361
- Albio Sires - Democrat, 8th District 202-225-7919
- Bill Pascrell - Democrat, 9th District 202-225-5751
- Donald Payne, Jr. - Democrat, 10th District 202-225-3436
- Rodney Frelinghuysen - Republican, 11th District 202-225-5034
- Bonnie Watson Coleman - Democrat, 12th District 202-225-5801
You can also access this list online by visiting the House Of Representatives Directory of Representatives.